Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Coax cable used for DC instrumentation

On Mar 12, 9:18*am, Andy wrote:

I am working with an instrument which outputs 0-5mV, and that signal
has to reach a sensing device 35' away. *I am concerned with noise,
and I don't think shielded cable will work well enough.

What do you mean, 'noise'? Pickup from heavy machinery?
Thermal resistor noise? Limited ADC resolution?

And what IS your signal? Source impedance and bandwidth are
important.

There are lots of signals (like a thermocouple output) that would
work better without coaxial cable, and lots of solutions (like
a 4-20 mA current transmitter) that a 'sensing device' could
conceivably support. Researching coaxial cable is not
yet called for.