Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Seal bottom side of wood bathroom vanity top or not?

Yeah, I suppose a good coat on the bottom is all ya need.

I also agree, oil stains can be sketchy under any film finish. I think
gel stains are a lot safer because they conatin poly and will dry out
for sure, but be careful is best.

On Mar 12, 6:48*am, blueman wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" writes:
Like DJ said, seal it all over with the same number of coats to avoid
warpage. The issue is the ambient moisture much more than the spills.

Since I am using epoxy as my topcoat which is quite impervious to water
do you think I really need the SAME number of coats on the bottom side?
I was planning on applying 4-5 coats on the top to build up a good thick
physical barrier in addition to a moisture barrier. Since the underside
only needs to protect against moisture and since epoxy is pretty
moisture impervious, can I geta away with maybe just 1-2 coats on the
bottom. Also, on the bottom, since I am not looking for a perfect smooth
finish, I could apply each coat a bit thicker to compensate.

Does this make sense?