Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frank Warner Frank Warner is offline

Default Gold

In article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 11, 7:51*am, Frank Warner wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:20*pm, Frank J Warner
wrote:
Forgive me. I am abysmally ignorant about this.

I need to know how much to pay for a small bit of gold.

I'm asking for a piece, a cylinder .1875" diameter x .1875" long. Karat
weight is negotiable: 18 karat, 24 karat. Doesn't matter. Price will
probably differ with each, and I understand that.

I can google the spot price of gold and calculate it out, but I have no
idea how much a piece of gold this size weighs. Archimedes wasn't my
best friend in high school.

Steel prices are bad enough, and titanium, whoo boy. But I am totally
lost when dealing with truly precious metals. Gold-mongers in my
experience are notoriously reticent with a little thing called honesty,
so I'd like to know what to expect as a reasonable price.

Little help here? Ed? Where are you when I need you?

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:http://www.franksknives.com

After looking at your knives I think you should make friends with a
goldsmith. A goldsmith that likes knives could become a very good
friend. What you need could be made out of scrap. Why that much
precision? What kind of timeline?
Karl

Unfortunately I live in a very small town with not too many craftsmen
like that, although I'm looking. The local jewelers are less than
helpful. They won't even talk to me unless I want to buy a bag of
Krugerrands or something.

This is just a thumb stud for a lady's folding knife. Tiny bit of gold
with an opal cabochon inset.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:http://www.franksknives.com/

I usually buy from he
http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/SearchPage.aspx?page=GRID&category|category_root|1 04=Metals&category|cat_104|170=Gold

Karl

Yes, I've bought from Rio Grande before, but this was such a
ridiculously small amount of gold I doubt they would have accepted the
order.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: