Andy Hall

Default Cleaning/Flushing a pressurise ad sealed CH system

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:52:03 +0100, Dougie Nisbet
wrote:

Thanks - that sounds rather encouraging. The towel rail in the bathroom
has capped tops (what are they called) which I need to investigate but
look very promising in the longer term for adding inhibiter. The bathroom
is on the ground floor so I guess I may have to more or less completely
drain the system when I decide to do this after cleaning.

I guess that you mean vents??

I'm not sure I'll bother replacing the LSVs and TRVs at the time of
flushing. Partly because of cost although I've not investigated this) but
mostly because I'm not a wild fan of TRVs and recently wired in a Danfoss
TP5 room thermostat

The reason that I replaced my lockshield valves was because the system
had previously been open vented and upon pressurisation there was
seepage from some of the valves. They were poor quality anyway, so
I decided to resolve by replacing them.

I've already read the other posts in this thread and tracked down some of
the archived material and it's raised more questions. I'm not wild about
the idea of removing and flushing 16 rads, but certainly think that doing
the bathroom rail and using it as the access point for flushing the system
is the way for me to go, and I'll see how it goes from there.

You could certain start this way. However, if the system is really
full of crud then you run the risk of pushing some into the boiler.
If that happens, you need to be very sure that it gets flushed
through.

You could certainly start with one radiator and see how bad it is.
If a lot of sludge comes through, then trying to clear them in situ is
probably not going to be effective and you will spend a lot of time
running round getting all the muck out.

I did about 15 radiators in a morning of removing, fliushing, swapping
valve and replacing. If you organise the procedure it is quite
quick.

One problem
I may have of trying to flush water around the CH circuit as my mains
water pressure is pretty poor anyway (lead piping) and I'm not convinced
that it will suffice to give my rads the colonic irrigation they so much
desire. That's another thought - if I shove a hose up the backside of rad
at poor mains pressure, am I not contravening some law about risking
backflow of dirty water into the mains?

If you put a double check valve on the hose connector at the tap, that
can't happen. The filling point also ha one of these (or should
do).

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl