Posted to rec.woodworking

Default low power drilling

On 3/11/2010 10:06 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

wrote:

I've got myself into a situation -
I need to drill through 6 2X8 joists which are accessible only from
the one side. They are spaced 2 feet on centers. (need to pull
cable across to the center of the floor). The joists are sitting
directly on concrete, and the decking is 1 1/2" (you read that
right) plywood.

This is a TOTAL PITA solution, but it will get the job done.

Drill a 1/4" dia pilot thru every 2x8, then it is time for a 1-1/2"
hole saw AND a 1/2" right angle drill.

I wonder if you really read the OP's post. Otherwise, the only way he'd
be able to use your suggestion would be if he could scrunch his body
down to fit in a 7-1/2" high space between a concrete slab and the
decking. Quite a trick, that.

What I don't understand is when he says the joists are "only accessible
from the one side". What does this mean? That the openings between
joists are only accessible from one side of the house? I'm having a hard
time picturing this. And how the hell would he get in there in the first
place--drill a hole from the outside through the rim joist, then each
joist in turn after that?

- a Usenet "apology"