Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lo Volts

Got a call from a mate tonight - said his lights had gone dim. ;-)
And so it proved - the volts in the house read 173. 25 year old town house
in a terrace of four in South London. Everybody out in that block - but
got a neighbour on the other side in another block in and checked it there
- 233v.
The services and CU etc were in an 'outhouse' at the front door with no
light - but everything seemed ok. Nothing hot or smoking.
Switching on the heaviest load - the cooker - made only about a volt or
so difference. Tried a fan heater too - the fan only just turned.

They'd been having probs with their boiler recently - and tonight it
doesn't work at all. Wonder if it was low volts causing the original
problem there? Not something you'd expect the average service engineer to
check.

So what's the likely cause? I'd have expected a sub station to feed the
whole area.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.