Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tiling onto plywood or OSB?

On Mar 11, 3:30*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Can I stick ceramic (floor) tiles directly onto plywood or OSB? I'm a
little tight for clearance on a potential project (at least if I use 3/4"
for the subfloor, and I worry that anything less will flex too much and
crack the tiles*) so it'd be nice not to have to use backerboard if I
don't have to.

* same with the underlying frame; I'd rather use 2x6" than 2x4" even
though the latter would give me lots more height to work with.

cheers

Jules

You can. But it's hard to keep the flex down enough with just 3/4 ply
or osb on 16" centers. That's part of why you add backer board. If
it's a bath then the backer board also gives you extra water
protection.

You mean 2x6 floor joists? What are you spanning with those? Again
sounds like you might have a flex issue. Floor need to be rock solid
for tile or your grout will be cracking out.