Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default securing exterior doors

Our home has several exterior passage doors, and a discussion on
the combo screws reminded me to post a little thing I did to gain
security when out of town.

On all the inswing doors, I installed eyebolts into the studs on
either side. They were painted to help blend into the drywall
color and also most were behind drapes anyway. I then bought some
fairly decent chain and reusable links, cutting the chains to span
the gap between the eyebolts. In several cases, where a drape or
toolbox hid one of the eyebolts, I just left the one link and
chain connected to the eyebolt, but where exposed, the chains were
removed and stored. Then, when leaving for an extended period of
time, I simply clip the other end of the chain to the eyebolt,
spanning the door with the chain. Someone can still kick in the
door, but swinging it open will be presented with the chain
blocking the door.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round