Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

Default Suggestions for best school for spray finishing

On Mar 11, 8:35*am, "Mike Marlow"
I'm looking for classes in spray finishing. *Basically I would like to
learn to set up the gun and proper techniques to spray.
Troubleshooting problems *would be nice too. The ideal class would
have plenty of hands on lab time...

Well, for what you're looking to learn, you don't really need a class
structure like you've described. *You could hook up with anybody that uses a
paint gun - a body man, a woodworker, etc., and in one hour you could learn
everything you need to know about setting up a gun, as well as the basics of
troubleshooting common problems. *If you're a slow learner - make that two
hours. *After that, it's all about practice. *Another hour or two with
someone who knows how to use a gun and you can master the basics of
shooting. *I understand your desire for lab time as you expressed it, but
you'll get as much from an hour or two with someone who can paint, as you
will from the kind of lab time you've suggested.

Do some digging through the archives in this group for painting tips. *Both
Robert (nailshooter) and I have posted a lot of "how-to" information here
that I think you would find valuable. *For a fee, I'm sure Swingman will
send you an autographed copy of his soon-to-be-released hardbound collection
of these posts. *Of course, that stuff makes a good - and quite
comprehensive, *starting point, but this forum serves well to continue from
there.

--

-Mike-

Agreed, find a good body guy or a local cab shop and make friends
(bring donuts and humility). If you find a sand blasting shop they
may hand you the gun and set you off priming some pieces. As far as
lab time goes, buy some old junk furniture, get a can of mid grade
finish (not low end -- too hard to use; not high end -- too easy to
use) and start spraying. You could strip and do a proper refinishing
or you can scuff sand and spray. I'm thinking real furniture since
that'll help you learn how to get into corners, manage bounce back
etc.
That's just a set of ideas, I grew up with the family business having
a sandblasting and painting division so I learned on lots of ag
equipment, trailers and worst of all tire rims. Tire rims suck since
you are essentially spraying into a bowl and bounce back is
unavoidable.
Tractors have lots of nooks and crannies, makes most woodworking stuff
relatively straightforward. Also from tractors you learn to be pick
your battles: guys driving tractors for hours in the field spend a
lot of time looking over the hood -- that's gotta be perfect; a run
down in around the rear end isn't such a big deal.

hex
-30-