Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frank Warner Frank Warner is offline

Default Gold

In article ,
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

And baring that and needing it made for you - I know of someone
that can do it for you.

Email at my website is good, Martin, if you know someone. Where is he
located?

It becomes a work of art to get something made.

This is the simplest gold part I can imagine. Shouldn't be difficult to
have something like this made.

-Frank

Martin

Steve W. wrote:
Frank J Warner wrote:
Forgive me. I am abysmally ignorant about this.

I need to know how much to pay for a small bit of gold.

I'm asking for a piece, a cylinder .1875" diameter x .1875" long. Karat
weight is negotiable: 18 karat, 24 karat. Doesn't matter. Price will
probably differ with each, and I understand that.

I can google the spot price of gold and calculate it out, but I have no
idea how much a piece of gold this size weighs. Archimedes wasn't my
best friend in high school.

Steel prices are bad enough, and titanium, whoo boy. But I am totally
lost when dealing with truly precious metals. Gold-mongers in my
experience are notoriously reticent with a little thing called honesty,
so I'd like to know what to expect as a reasonable price.

Little help here? Ed? Where are you when I need you?

-Frank

If your looking at a solid piece that size your looking at about 23
bucks worth of gold for 10K and about 50 for 24K. BUT if this is
something that you need NOW you will likely end up making it yourself.
That isn't a common size in wire gold. or in bar stock.

Your best option would really be to buy a large mens ring or two from a
pawn shop or even a Wal~Mart. Then make a over-sized mold and pour it
yourself. Then turn to fit. That would be easier and MUCH cheaper than
special ordering it.

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/