Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do urethane caster wheels deform over time under load

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 20:28:39 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus17831
scrawled the following:

On 2010-03-10, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus17831" wrote in message
This question is of great interest to me. If, say, I has a 1500 lb
rated caster with a urethane wheel, would it deform under 800 lb
load, enough to make it troublesome to move. Thanks

What color are they? The softer Urethane will deform but the harder ones
will not. In die work, Urethane is color coded to hardness but I'm not sure
if is an adhered to standard and may even vary per mfgr.

At the risk of causing a serious consternation, I want to confess that
I am going to make a base for this mill on casters. I will need to
move it about quite a bit. We are likely doing a house addition this
year and the mill will move into the new shop. I can always put 2x4s
under the base for stable placement.

Anyhow, I have these Colson 1500 lbs casters with dark red urethane
wheels, and I want to know if they would become unusable if I let the
mill sit on them for a week or two.

I doubt it, but you can ask them easily enough:
http://www.colsoncaster.com/

I installed pinkish-red bushings for the leaf springs on my F-150
which didn't deform at all. Good schtuff, Maynard.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.