Posted to alt.home.repair
Master Betty Master Betty is offline

Default Interior remodeling questions w/pics

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I'm putting in a double door in my den's entry way. There are a couple of
walls I need to put in that will not flush with the existing walls. I'd
like to make them easy to take out if we, or another owner, decides to
return to the original design.

Would there be any problem with caulking the new corners as opposed to
taping and texturing? That way I could avoid matching the patterns on the
existing walls and avoid the mess of texturing existing walls. What I'd
prefer doing is caulking in the corners with latex caulk, prime it, and
spray texture over the caulk.

Also I have to move a light switch (the thing I'm most nervous about). I
can access it, from behind, through the pantry. What's the easiest way to
move the switch without making a mess?

Where the double door is going:
www.safaricabs.com/open.jpg

Where I put up wallboard last night in the small opening.
www.safaricabs.com/opening.jpg

The switch I need to move to the left to avoid the new wall: (There is a
pantry directly behind it)
www.safaricabs.com/switch.jpg

*I wouldn't worry about the next owner. Do it right. That fill-in window
looks odd and a potential buyer may have a problem with that. You might
be able to turn the existing switch box around (Or put another in its
place) so that it is open to inside the pantry and accessible. Then use
it as a junction box and run new switch wires to wherever you want. Just
put a blank cover on the box.

Second comment about that. I'll definitely think about changing it.

On the switch I was thinking of doing that and putting an access panel in
the closet.