Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Chemical test for SnPb lead/ RoHS lead-free solder

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
A chemist gave me enough potassium chromate to have a go. Ground off a

few
mg from some sheet lead , dropped into some chromate solution and a

cloudy
yellowish deposit formed in the otherwise orange liquid - what it is
supposed to do apparently.
Then ground off some known lead free solder , added to some of the
solution
and no yellow.
Then ground off some known SnPb solder and again no yellow - so not so
simple a test as first appeared, Pb and tin are combined too well to

react
?

Well, we all knew that SnPb solder was a stable compound that was not

going
to break down on its own, allowing cartloads of lead to somehow get into
into the environment, as the eco-bollox lead-free solder brigade, would

have
us believe ...

Arfa

That was what I was thinking. And it wold take more than acid rain to
leech
the lead from solder, or lead would not be possible to be used as the
plates
in car batteries.

Or of course as lead flashing on every house ever built, or lead guttering,
as is found on many old - and even ancient - buildings, and has been there
for hundreds of years, being 'dissolved away' (ha!) by the rain for all that
time, including the several decades of bad-arsed acid rain, that we had in
the last century ...

Arfa