Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default After

Why not just glue up 1" or 2" stock to build it up.
Much less and if you do it right it looks great.

Leon wrote:
"Dave In Texas" wrote in message

"jloomis" wrote in message
Redwood.

Wow. Former partner is revisiting a Frank Lloyd Wright-style custom
home in a high-dollar neighborhood here locally. Four or five years ago
we had to replace numerous redwood sills and 4X4s which formed the frames
for the plate glass and of which the house had a lot (glass, that is) on
the upstairs corner master bedroom. So now, former partner is again
replacing rotted posts and some partial sills on the outside wall of a
first story bath.
Swing and Leon will appreciate this. At Clark's Lumber, a large outfit
here in Houston, a clear redwood 2X4X8 is $5.55/lf! $48 including sales
tax! 4X4X10 was $135! YEOW!

LOL... I priced 4x4 "Oak" at Clarks. I needed about 20' for my bed posts
on my bedroom project. The cost was in the neighborhood of $600~$700. I
build plywood posts and veneered with 3/16" thick oak.