Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Run away cars

On Mar 9, 5:21*pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:50 am, dpb wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:

2) Far better to have manual braking and no acceleration than burn out
brakes w/ continued acceleration

Why not put the car in neutral, and the brake would stop the car, and
then you could shut it off?
Why not, indeed...

Can the problem cars not be shifted into neutral when this happens?

Some people have claimed that they tried, but could not. Are they
telling the truth? *Who knows. * * But take a look at the other thread
here I just posted. * You have a Toyota again in San Diego, with
police involvement for a long time and from the reports so far, it
doesn't appear anyone had sense enough to just put it in neutral. *....

Just saw the driver say he was unfamiliar w/ the gearshift -- okay, so
who's car was it? *If it was his as was indicated as he took it to the
dealership earlier for the fix, that's his bad...

Then, he followed that up w/ the astounding statement he thought (or
"didn't know if" may have been the actual words, I don't recall
precisely just now?) the car would flip if he did shift to
neutral...what in the world would possibly make one think something like
that? *And, he eventually turned it off -- why wouldn't one think of
that before on one's own long before reaching 90 mph????

One good thing in this incident other than the doofus did escape is that
Toyota and DOT engineers are going to examine the particular vehicle
that did malfunction. *Hopefully Toyota won't have a chance to clean it
up before independent parties are there for a real forensic examination.

Near as I could follow the clips, he wasn't told, and didn't try, to
turn it off before slowing way down.

This is the second car that Toyota has had for a good exam. First one
was sitting in its lot with smoking brakes. Never heard what they
found on that one.

Harry k