Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Run away cars

On Mar 9, 4:35*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 21:21:15 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:50=A0am, dpb wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:11:24 -0500, (Jack) wrote:

I do not have one of the key-less cars with the start button so turning
off the car would 1)lock the steering wheel and 2)do away with power
brakes.

1) No, only requires locking to remove key from ignition

To clarify, what he's saying is that if you turn off the ignition the
steering wheel will not lock unless you also remove the key.

Incorrect. The steering wheel locks as soon as the ignition switch is turned
to the position in which the key _can_ be removed, even if the key remains in
the lock cylinder.

How old is the car you are driving???
For at least the last 10 years or more, the steering lock can NOT
engage without removing the key.

??? I have 2005 Ford 500. Has the usual (for the past 30 years at
least) LOCK, OFF, RUN,Run Positions (may have another position to run
radio, etc, only). Locks the steering in the LOCK positon with the
key still in it. I'll bet almost all other cars do the same.

Harry K