Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Bench Grinder(slow speed)

"Michael Faurot" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

IIRC, someone provided some info about how to bore out the centers of
the wheels. I don't have a DP yet though, so I'm not sure where that
leaves me for the time being.

My recollection of drilling out the centers of the grinding wheels, is
that I didn't use a drill press. I believe I used a brace[1] as I wanted
to be sure nothing would get out of control on me. Once the bit
started chewing on the plastic, there wasn't much material in the
actual grinding wheel that needed to be removed.

[1]: The brace I used is a little different than the typical one you
find. Mine has four fingers in the chuck and can properly grip
standard drill bits.

Michael,

I can understand your wish to make sure nothing would get out of control
on such an operation! I have a brace (and some of the standard auger bits
that
accompanied it)--I was just keeping it around for "posterity", maybe I
should
check if I have a 1" auger bit. That's what I would use, correct?

Hmmm. maybe those (auger) bits I have are not suitable for use with this
sort
of material?

I'll have to keep thinking about a solution to this. I wonder if Woodcraft
or Rockler
could assist me?

Thank you,
Bill