Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Do urethane caster wheels deform over time under load

On 2010-03-10, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2010-03-10, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus17831" wrote in
message
This question is of great interest to me. If, say, I has a 1500 lb
rated caster with a urethane wheel, would it deform under 800 lb
load, enough to make it troublesome to move. Thanks

What color are they? The softer Urethane will deform but the harder
ones
will not. In die work, Urethane is color coded to hardness but I'm
not
sure if is an adhered to standard and may even vary per mfgr.

At the risk of causing a serious consternation, I want to confess that
I am going to make a base for this mill on casters. I will need to
move it about quite a bit. We are likely doing a house addition this
year and the mill will move into the new shop. I can always put 2x4s
under the base for stable placement.

Why can't you use casters with cast iron wheels? These will *not*
deform.

I can, and I have them in my mcmaster cart. But I already have the
colson casters.

Anyhow, I have these Colson 1500 lbs casters with dark red urethane
wheels, and I want to know if they would become unusable if I let the
mill sit on them for a week or two.

I would ask Colson, but I would be suspicious of anything non-metallic.

As am I. I also think that metal wheels would be easier to move with a
load this heavy.

Please don't say you aren't going to level it!