Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Run away cars

In article , wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:50=A0am, dpb wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:11:24 -0500, (Jack) wrote:

I do not have one of the key-less cars with the start button so turning
off the car would 1)lock the steering wheel and 2)do away with power
brakes.

1) No, only requires locking to remove key from ignition

To clarify, what he's saying is that if you turn off the ignition the
steering wheel will not lock unless you also remove the key.

Incorrect. The steering wheel locks as soon as the ignition switch is turned
to the position in which the key _can_ be removed, even if the key remains in
the lock cylinder.

2) Far better to have manual braking and no acceleration than burn out
brakes w/ continued acceleration

Why not put the car in neutral, and the brake would stop the car, and
then you could shut it off?

Why not, indeed...

Can the problem cars not be shifted into neutral when this happens?

Some people have claimed that they tried, but could not. Are they
telling the truth? Who knows. But take a look at the other thread
here I just posted. You have a Toyota again in San Diego, with
police involvement for a long time and from the reports so far, it
doesn't appear anyone had sense enough to just put it in neutral. And
it was in San Diego that a highway patrol officer and his family died
in a crash in a Lexus where the car went along long enough for a 911
call to be made. You'd think they surely would have learned
something from that one, but maybe not.

This seems to be a bone of contention that I've seen no clarification on
other than I think it's Toyota's recommendation (I say "I think" because
the reports I've seen are secondhand, not directly from Toyota--either
testimony or corporate statements. =A0There seem to have been precious fe=

of those until the "technical presentation" to attempt to discredit the
firmware failure idea.)

WTF does this have to do with home repair?

most home owners have autos??? =A0Plus, it's a current topic of some
interest. =A0If you're not, mark thread for not following in your
newsreader (as I'm getting ready to do).