Posted to misc.consumers,alt.politics,misc.consumers.house

Default The great housing con game: UN studies homeless victims

On Mar 8, 4:37*pm, zeez wrote:
For starters, outlaw real estate speculation, at least the out of
control kind.

Actually, I was most curious about this:

Welcome to housing in America. Let's build these rigid structures,

I like rigid structures. Rigidity helps keep me and my stuff safe.
would not have wanted to live in a tent when the temperatures dipped
below 0 F this past winter.

price them to hundreds or thousands of times what they are worth, and
fleece the populous,

Housing prices are pretty much set by the buyers. Anybody who is
foolish enough to spend $1 million on a three-bedroom ranch deserves
what they get.

As far as new housing goes... In 2006 my husband and I built a 20- x
40-foot workshop from a kit. It cost about $20,000, and was
basically
a garage, slab on grade. Building houses isn't cheap. Nobody is
going to build them and give them away.

If you try to live anyway else, or we feel your
home is not up to our codes, we are going to get you.

I assume that the OP wants to eliminate building codes, which would
result in buyers having no protection from incompetent builders--
unless
buyers become experts themselves in the construction trades, and
oversee the construction process. Not likely.