Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Run away cars

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:11:24 -0500, (Jack) wrote:

I do not have one of the key-less cars with the start button so turning
off the car would 1)lock the steering wheel and 2)do away with power
brakes.

1) No, only requires locking to remove key from ignition

2) Far better to have manual braking and no acceleration than burn out
brakes w/ continued acceleration

Why not put the car in neutral, and the brake would stop the car, and
then you could shut it off?

Why not, indeed...

Can the problem cars not be shifted into neutral when this happens?

This seems to be a bone of contention that I've seen no clarification on
other than I think it's Toyota's recommendation (I say "I think" because
the reports I've seen are secondhand, not directly from Toyota--either
testimony or corporate statements. There seem to have been precious few
of those until the "technical presentation" to attempt to discredit the
firmware failure idea.)

WTF does this have to do with home repair?

most home owners have autos??? Plus, it's a current topic of some
interest. If you're not, mark thread for not following in your
newsreader (as I'm getting ready to do).