Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Cut off your finger? Sue

On Mar 9, 11:44*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"Evodawg" wrote in message

So lets see, the inventor of Saw Stop is a Patent Attorney and gets bored
with not making money with his chosen career. Dreams up this idea of a
Table Saw that can stop the blade on contact with flesh. Tries to push
this new tech. on Saw Manufactures and fails. Decides to start his own
Table Saw Manufacture. I would imagine sales are decent but not decent
enough for the inventor so decides to lobby for this new tech. on every
table saw built today. If the millionaire wins he becomes a billionaire..
Somehow I get the feeling this was the plan when he started the patent
process. Now that's what I call a "Great Business Plan", at of course the
expense of Table Saw Manufactures and Table Saw users all over the
world!!!!

This is the part of this discussion that I just don't get. *Someone invents
something that actually does have a value and a purpose, and tries to grab
the brass ring. *Hell - that is the American way. *What is wrong with that?
So he tried to get his invention adopted by all of the manufacturers, so he
started his own company because they all turned him down. *What's the big
deal? *How is that at the expense of table saw manufacturers? *Or users?

So far, nothing - read on.

You can fault his attempts to mandate his invention by law, but I'm not even
sure I'd fault him for that effort. *

You appear to be the only one here. You don't see a conflict of
interest? He has a state-mandated monopoly (patent) and you don't see
a problem with the state also requiring his device? boggle

Any expense to table saw manufacturers
lies solely at the feet of the legal system. *Narrow that down a little
further - to the jury system. *Your neighbors and mine. *You can't even
fault the lawyers - all they do is argue a case. *Both sides argue opposing
sides. *It's the people in the box that make the decision.

....and you think this is goodness?

Get real! Saws are dangerous things. We *all* know it, as did the
PROFESSIONAL. Whether we *choose* to use a dangerous tool is our
business, not the nanny-state's.