Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Cobi boiler or regular boiler for hard-water area?

In message , John
Rumm writes
Al 1953 wrote:

Al Lights the blue touch paper and stands back ;-)

(cue combi Vs stored system debate - again)

Hello DIY-ers,
I am buying a house in a hard water area. It has no c/h system and
no boiler and I inted to install both. I gather condensing boilers
are the way to go these days, but what about the question of combi
vs. regular? My experience of a combi in my previous house was that
it was constantly furring up dure to the hard water, and I spent a
fortune keeping it

If you stick a phosphate dosing unit (like a "Combimate" for example)
in front of the combi then it should not suffer scale problems. That
should then bring the decision back to the basic one of which better
suits your requirements.

I plan to put a conventional ion exchange water softener in front of
mine.

running. Conversely, my parents had an old fasioned regular boiler
and a copper cylinder that never needed any repairs or maintenance.
Bleeding the rads once a year was all that was required. So, is there
a good argument for using a regular condensing boile rather than a
combi? The house I'm buying is a 3-bed semi.

Things like how many people, what's the cold mains flow rate and
pressure like etc might be more relevant...

regards

--
Tim Lamb