Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lintel or not?

David WE Roberts submitted this idea :
The front of the shed is planned to be 10 blocks high at the moment.
The door opening including frame will be 9 blocks high.

So do I need a concrete lintel plus some concrete bricks for the last course,
or is there a better alternative such as wood?
The only load carried will be the roof, so in theory wood should be fine and
would also be a lot easier to fit.
The gap (double doors) is expected to be about 1624mm so the lintel would be
2000mm.

You might be able to use a wood lintel if the gap above is filled with
wood rather than blocks, that is what I did. Another option would be to
use two lengths of angle iron back to back, thus allowing you to use
full size blocks.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)