Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default OT - RAM bump up

On Mar 8, 2:49*pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:44:52 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:53*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

news:G4edna2KmaVFbAnWnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@earthlink. com...

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Get rid of all the garbages piled up on the system over time. Keep the
registry clean or modifiy it to your needs. Fine tune your system for
what you mostly do with your system. 32 bit OS has max addressing for
memory at 3 GB. If needed go 64 bit or Linux.

Do not EVER use a "registry cleaner." There is nothing a registry cleaner
purports to do that will improve efficiency. For example, the registry is
not searched sequentially, so whether it contains 1,000 entries or 3
million is irrelevant. The difference to access the proper key between the
two is measured in nanoseconds.

Conversely, use of a registry cleaner can screw up a system beyond repair.
Admittedly, so can a manual modification of the registry, but in this
latter case you at least know what you did.

Next, a 32-bit system has an addressing capability of about 4 GB, not
three (2^32 = 4,294,967,296). Most operating systems snatch some of the
RAM for their internals (i.e. video buffers) so the amount of RAM usable
by application programs is in the neighborhood of 3.1-3.4 GB.

I was using Eusing Registry Fix, freeware, plus Internet Options Delete
Cookies and Files when mine would slow down. *My computer geek said the same
thing you said, not to mess with the registry. *Ever. *So, I think my
problem was memory and not registry. *Still will delete cookies and files,
tho.

Steve

CCleaner is an excellent file/cookie sweeper.
Don't install any add-ons (unless you want them) like tool bars (that
help pay for the freeware).
http://www.ccleaner.com/

bob

But that is also a registry cleaner. Bub is correct that cleaning the
registry is not necessary.

Bottom line: there has never been anyone that can measure or determine
any speed/optimized increase after the registry is "cleaned". *I
stopped using them long ago. Seldom, if ever will I make a manual
change.

You have the "choice" of running the reg. cleaner...it's not the main
function of the utility.