Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Increasing the range/output power of a UHF video sender?

b wrote in news:9d6330dc-4331-4e1a-8615-
:

I have a UHF audio-video sender unit which I am attempting to use in a
house with three floors, in a remote area. The aim being to send the
signal from a VCR downstairs in order that a couple of TVs on the
upper floors can receive it.

Thsi is the device I bought:
http://www.wakamatsu.vc/cgi-bin/pc/data/1-660829b.jpg

In actual fact it is smaller than it appears - about half to three
quarters the size of a VHS cassette.

Anyway, it works surprisingly well on the whole, but the signal does
not reach the uppermost floor with enough gain. So I'd like to amplify
it a bit more (no more then 50% I suppose), or otherwise increase the
range.

So far I can see two potential ways:
1- use a larger aerial than the small telescopic rod antenna fitted.
(not sure if the sender's o/p electronics would be up to the job
though)
2. Connect an amplifier in series between the output of the sender and
it's antenna.

There may be simpler ways; I'm all ears.

In regard to (2.), I was thinking of adapting a TV signal booster
amplifier with a 20% variable gain I have lying about. Not sure at
what part of the sender's circuit I would need to attach it though (I
don't have the schematic). Presumably it would have some effect if I
connected the sender's rod antenna terminal to its input and then
connected another antenna to its TV output jack .

Any thoughts?
Thanks
-B

You have an unlicensed transmitter that operates under specific rules
designed to prevent excessive signal strength causing interference to
licensed services.

Anything which might result in a stronger transmitted signal might violate
the regulations under which such devices operate and might cause
interference to vital communications. Better to use cables and avoid
radiating a signal.

There may be fines and legal liability associated with damages caused by
such a transmitter outside of the permitted limits.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.