Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default B&Q 'off the shelf' UPVC windows - sizes

On 9 Mar, 12:20, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...
On Mar 9, 9:23 am, "David WE Roberts"

The other thing that they did was to show us the clip (another extra which
you wouldn't know about until you had read the instructions which were
sealed inside the window package) which clipped into the outside of the
frame and then protruded inwards (or optionally outwards) to be screwed to
the wall.

This was obviously a potential problem The window is expected to go into a
cavity wall opening so with a double skin wall there is plenty of depth.
We are building a single block wall so the opening is 100mm.
The frame is 60mm deep.
So if you sit the frame back into the opening (as is usual) you don't have
enough space at the back for the fixing.
Fortunately there is an alternative strategy - fit the brackets so they
face
outwards, drill in at an angle of 70 degrees then cover the screw and
bracket with the silicone sealant bead you run round the outside.
Subject to further checking this may be a feasible option.

These are optional. You can fix by drilling through the frame and
using uPVC window frame fixers.

snip

The windows come already glazed (hence the additional clips).
I don't want to have to prise out the glazing units to fit the frame.

Yeah, the B&Q window I got did not have a "proper" bead on the inside,
just some type of felt, and I certainly didn't want to take out the
glass - who know what horrors may unfold.
Latest build, I got windows made to fit from a local supplier which
was surprisingly cheap and very good quality.
Simon.