Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sparks Fergusson Sparks Fergusson is offline

Default Air Compressor Problem - Motor Stalls

PeterD wrote:

This is probably what you are trying to point to:

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Device...8055829&sr=8-1

Sorry, yes, that's the one.

So the motor actually stalls, and there are no sounds (humming, etc.)
from it?

Yes, it actually stalls. There's not super loud humming. There may be
some motor noise, but it's hard to hear over the sound of the
unloader.

A most interesting set of symptoms... Motor stalls to locked rotor, no
significant current draw, odd...

How 'hot' is the motor? Is it possible the thermal cutout is tripping
(at too low a temperature, perhaps?)

Well, it does get warm. It gets warm when running with the belt off,
too. When it goes into it's stall cycle, it's definitely warmer than
that. I can put my Mk I hand on it for about 8 seconds, which says
it's hot, but not super hot.