Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sparks Fergusson Sparks Fergusson is offline

Default Air Compressor Problem - Motor Stalls

(GregS) wrote:

In article , "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Sparks Fergusson wrote:

I only see one capacitor, so I'm assuming it's in the starting
circuit. I don't have a wiring diagram, and GE has no information on
it's website for this motor.

Don't assume. What is the capacitance? Some small split phase
motors only have a run capacitor. The fact that the current only rises
slightly indicates a bad capacitor or a poor connection to one winding.

I don't think GE is making the motors anymore, and thats why you can't
get info. Either test the cap or replace it. Its probably a run cap.

I can't read the markings on the cap without taking the motor apart.
But, thanks to everybody's help, it looks like that's the next step.
I'll definitely replace the cap and otherwise clean, lubricate, and
tighten as appropriate.

Thanks!