Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Cut off your finger? Sue

So now when you buy a table saw you will have to sign a liability
release that you understand that it doesn't have this safety device
and the manufacuturers will have to offer safety classes which have
been available at the better dealers. Its like the notices on
generators in a dozen languages that says don't run them in your
house. If you buy something it should be your responsibility to know
what your getting into. If your operating equipment it should be the
same.

Mike M

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:44:51 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/8/2010 6:08 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 03/08/2010 05:35 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/8/2010 5:13 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

I dislike lawyers as much as the next guy...but I also think it's a bit
odd that none of the other manufacturers has even attempted to come up
with something similar. Surely the Sawstop guys haven't locked down the
patents that tightly.

The "guy", Steve Gass, _is_ a patent attorney.

He also has a doctorate in physics and claims to have started
woodworking at age 4. The fact that someone who invents something
useful happens to be an attorney shouldn't be held against them.

By dint of name alone, "lawyers" need little else be held against
them...

Like they say ... one lawyer in a town will starve to death, two and
they'll both get rich.

Sure. And I know there was some interesting happenings in the early
days of his idea when he wanted a pretty good premium for the use of the
concept.

A "licensing fee", and apparently nothing has changed with regard to same.

But all the other companies all have patent attorneys as well. I have a
hard time believing that nobody else in the entire industry could have
come up with a flesh-sensing device of their own after the better part
of a decade.

I'd say get used to it, because it's painfully obvious that that's the case.