Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Why are radiators made of cast iron

willshak wrote:
Doug Miller wrote the following:
In article , willshak
wrote:

The disadvantages are that they are big and ugly and get very hot
(don't allow toddlers around them).

Horse-puckey. They don't get any hotter than the water that's
circulated through them.

They have enclosures especially built for them which also helps with
the ugly part.

Some do. Many don't.

Another advantage is you don't need a humidifier, just put a pan of
water on top of them.
I was brought up in homes with steam radiators in NYC.

Ahh, that explains your misconceptions. You're apparently unaware that
many homes are heated by hot water, not steam.

I was raised in NYC in the 1940s. Steam was the main heating source for
many homes and buildings.
You haven't been around long enough to contradict me on what I remember.

Back then, ConEd actually sold piped steam to many of the buildings, so
they didn't have to mess with having a boiler. Probably still do in the
older parts of town. I'm sure individual stand-alone houses had their
own little boilers.

--
aem sends...