Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default How to fix my iron railings?

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:21:26 -0500, Nil
wrote:

The steps leading up to my front door have iron railings on them,
embedded directly into the steps. Over time, the iron has rusted and
the railings are all breaking off at ground level. This has been
hastened by the ice melter that I've used on the steps the past couple
of years, which I've discovered is VERY corrosive to metal (it also ate
a screwdriver I had used to break up chunks of the stuff.)

So, here's what state it's in right now:

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/rail1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/rail2.jpg

I plan to get the railings repaired by having a metal shop weld
extensions onto the legs. What's a "proper" or better way to reattach
them to the steps?

It looks like the pad was cored and epoxy used to set the rails?

If so, I would remove all the old material, clean the core and use new
epoxy. The welder can also make a base plate that could be anchored
over the preset spot.