Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Sanding for finishing

"SBH" wrote in message ...
Awhile ago the question was asked about sandpaper grit for finish work.
Though the general consensus agreed upon the small range of grit, one
question I was wondering when sanding to stain and finish is to use a
sander or do it by hand? Is one method better than the other, other than
eliminating tired arms? If using a sander, what type is best?

Thanks

My $1/50....
For furniture, I will always hand sand with the same grit that I finished
ROS sanding with. I am *very* careful to go with the grain and avoid the
'arcs' that Robert mentioned. He is right, one arc, and it will be the only
thing you notice.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the need to meticulously clean the
surface after each grit change. Leave one piece of 180 grit on the
workpiece to get stuck between the wood and your 220 paper and you'll see
*that* scratch forever as well.

Happy sanding!

jc