Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Clausing 6913, update on the interlock pin

Ignoramus8009 wrote:

There is a position in between the lines that will ruin your threading job. DAMHIKT. I
guess it is okay if you are making a two start thread.

I have not done much threading.

Neither have I. About 50 times so far over the years. For sure less than a hundred
single pointing. I have a few things to make that will up that count a bit quickly.

What annoys me about my 6903 lathe is the half nuts engage by
pulling up. Every lathe I've ever used worked by pushing down.
Looking at the drawing again makes me wonder if that is something
easy to change. The mechanism looks the same as on lathes that work
the way I like.

I do not personally object to this.

Unless you have muscle memory involved in this, anything would be okay fine for you. I
keep worrying that my conditioning will make me do the wrong thing at home or at work.

Did you take pictures? Do you have to remove the lead screw to get the apron off?

Some pictures are here.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clausing-6913-Lathe/

Sweet. I don't remember seeing these. Is this part of reorganizing?

When you get done with this, I'll add a link to your project page. If you google
"clausing 6903" I pop up on top. Damn, I'm famous

I painted the front of the lathe, with epoxy cold galv primer and
epoxy paint. I am not very happy with the resulting appearance (paint
"ran" in a few places), but I am sure that it will provide rock solid
protection. This epoxy is very hard and tough.

My paint job is a bit nasty. Guy that sold me the lathe told me the ways are perfect and
the paint is nasty. The ways are perfect and the paint is nasty.

I have not taken pictures of the lathe reassembled and repainted, yet,
but I may do so tomorrow. Also note that I only painted the front side
of the lathe, because it was easier to do with the apron and leadscrew
taken off.

Back to your question about the leadscrew, yes, I removed it with the
apron. I took it off and wirebrushed clean, as it was completely
clogged with crud and resisted any other form of cleaning.

I've only pulled the apron off of one lathe. A big Dajung and it
took me and another guy to lift it. Chips embedded in the half nuts
was that machine's problem. I had to pull the screw on that one.

I did that by myself, it was not that big, maybe 90 lbs with the
leadscrew.

I get help when pulling chunks of metal off of machines.. It doesn't take too much error
in guestimation to get you hurt. I'm trying hard to avoid that magic pop in the spinal
column that changes everything for the worse.

Wes