Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default cast iron router table top?

On 3/8/10 11:40 AM, graham wrote:
Stuart wrote on 08/03/2010 09:32:
In ,
wrote:
which interestingly has a 0.8mm crown; I'm not convinced this is a good
idea - surely a flat table with a flat plate is the best??

The principle behind it is that when you have the weight of a
heavy router pulling down underneath it becomes flat. If you start
flat you are likely to finish up with a slightly dished effect
unless you have a nicely ribbed bit of cast iron or Al.

Yikes - that's a bit hit or miss then as it would depend on the weight
of the router; presumably there should be different amounts of crown for
different routers!
More importantly, with a 6kg router how much deflection should one
expect in a standard sized ~9"x12" insert?

thanks,
graham.

I was thinking the same thing. What if you don't have an 80 pound
router? :-)
Then you're stuck with this annoying crown. All things being equal and
given the choice of a crown or dip in the mounting plate, I would choose
a dip every time.

You can't adjust for a crown-- you will always have long stock rocking
on the table, as it travels over the crown.
You can easily adjust for a dip-- just raise the bit a tiny amount to
compensate, and long stock with never rock up and down on the table.

In any case.... get Phenolic and don't worry about it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--