Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Q, simulated wood flooring

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:30:52 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 18:09:52 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:
I've got a Sony Reader - birthday gift from SWMBO last year - that I carry

How large is it, and how do you like it?

It's 5 1/8" x 7 1/8" and weighs about 10.5oz. I love it. I was reading a
used hard bound copy of Swarm when I got it and spent $6 or so for the
e-book. Went from hefting 6# of book in bed to less than a pound.

That's the one downside of a large, glossy-papered book.

Does it use the same tech as
Kindle, eInk?

It's similar. Not backlit and real easy on the eyes. Three font sizes,
bookmarks, auto return to last page, usb charging, takes PC flash memory
cards and Sony memory sticks, but, as I said, I've got about a half dozen
books on there right now including Stephen King's Dome and it's not whining
for flash yet. Recently got a software upgrade that will allow reading
almost anything including PDF, EPUB, and BBeB but not sure about Kindle.
Books seem about the same price as Kindle but older stuff is real cheap and
there are always a few freebies. Stephen Hunter's Havana is $7.59. Kindle
is selling for $6.39, but Amazon is hell bent on pushing their proprietary
format. George Hunter - Limb From Limb $5.31. Jason Pinter - The Hunters
$0.00. Dennis Lehane - Shutter Island $5.19 - another recommended.

Ouch.

I can also read any of my books on any computer I have the Sony Reader
software installed on. My wife can read the same book I am reading on the
Reader on her laptop. Mine is the PRS 505 and I think it is just about the
greatest thing since sliced bread. ) They have a couple new models
including a touch screen.

Cons: Graphics might as well be non-existent. May be better in the newst

That's a near instant strikeout for me. B&W is another. I generally
can't sit through ten pages of ebook on a tube or LCD monitor, so I'm
not sure if I could use eInk or similar technology.

model as they advertise newspaper downloads.
And, if you drop it in the tub, well it might be all she wrote!

But, with batteries, not all YOU wrote.

The problem with those is the cost of books. I recycle
most of my books (both ways), so they cost very little compared to the
Kindle prices.

I still do some of that, especially if I want something heavy on graphics.

I think that will continue indefinitely, or at least until readers get
to be commodities, like RAM and other computers/accs have become.

I took a paperback to the client's house the other day when waiting
for the delivery of some lumber. I only got 3 pages read before he
got there. He had the coolest 3-wheeled forklift hung on the back of
the truck. All 3 wheels articulated so he backed it off the truck,
drove up next to the truck, lifted the load, backed up 6' to clear the
truck, turned all 3 wheels instead of the forklift, and crabbed it
into the lot, dropping the lumber lengthwise in the drive as I asked.
Very cool. I forgot all about Stephen Hunter after that. I'd seen
the backpack type of forklift before, but never in crab action.

Seen the three wheelers, but never in action. sounds neat!

It was, indeed.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu