Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Machinery and insurance

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

I also have a 1600 Lb pick and place machine that I
was INCREDIBLY lucky to pick up at a very low price, I'd like to get
that insured for what it is worth, not what I paid for it. (Humpf, fat
chance!)

Most of the time you'd do better to put the equivalent of the premiums
for said insurance into the "buy the next one" fund, as they are often
rather steep, especially for replacement cost (and then they weasel out
of replacement cost anyway when you need to file a claim.)

For all the things you can control, do so - ie, fireproofing, alarms,
what is stored where (such as flammable liquids, etc) while it "should"
save you money on premiums, more importantly it can save you ever having
to hire a lawyer to beat what's owed to you out of your insurance
company in the first place. Prevention is cheaper than replacement.