Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinery and insurance

Michael Koblic wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

Is the OP trying to insure the machine tools, or is he worrying that the
insurance company might take exception to their presence if too large?

Both, really. I cannot see them worrying about a X2 mill (they don't, I
discussed it with them). I can see raised eyebrows at a 20x60 lathe in
the spare bedroom. I wondered what the general experience was and if
there was any sense of a cut-off in these matters. At what point will
the machine becomes uninsurable under the ordinary household policy and
at what point it might be construed as a hazard to the rest of the
dwelling.

Asking the insurance company is not always the best policy.

I know that I am not allowed to weld within 25 feet of the buildings.
OTOH I am allowed to solder.

I am not allowed to have a web site - this would make me into a *business*.

OK, well, I have a web STORE on a web server located in my house,
manufacture motion control hardware using the machines in my shop and
sell them through the web store. I have a fictitious name registration
through the state. So, it is clearly a business, in every way. I even
had a part time employee for a while, but moving over to surface mount
electronics and getting a pick and place machine got me to where I
didn't need him anymore.

I will have to look at my latest policy, and make sure that I don't have
a problem. Last time I read through it, it seemed that having a
business was not a problem, but the business equipment was not covered
above a very small amount that might cover a laptop and a printer.

I have a HUGE TIG welder, but use it so RARELY for the business that it
might be considered a hobby machine on that accord.

I have a Bridgeport converted to CNC and a Sheldon 15" lathe, those are
the big machines. I also have a 1600 Lb pick and place machine that I
was INCREDIBLY lucky to pick up at a very low price, I'd like to get
that insured for what it is worth, not what I paid for it. (Humpf, fat
chance!)

Well, my insurance is coming up for renewal, I can inquire again and see
what is available.

Jon