Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Alternatives to LPS-2

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:46:59 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Very possibly, as do our individual sniffers.

Where was the drop? If not on metal, yes the smell lingers. I am very
fastidious when carrying and applying the hypoid oil.

In a crack on the 30 y/o asphalt kitchen linoleum tiles. I think that
drip was the reason I went to Future acrylic floor "wax", and I've
used the wonderful stuff ever since.

My experience has it running out the bottom and not creeping back.
YMMV.

I used to put a lot of oil in the hinge and let it drain, but now I put a
thinish layer on the pin. Enough oil stays in the hinge that I don't need
to reapply for some years.

My latest test has lasted 8 years without needing reapplication. I did
the doors when I moved in and none of them squeaks or catches in the
slightest yet. No fuss, no muss, no drips, no smell, no maintenance.
Works for me. I think it's StaLube moly wheel bearing grease, and I
haven't had a single callback for a squeak returning yet.

Sounds like good stuff.

Some kinds of grease also slowly drool oil, and these kinds of grease could
work on a hinge.

Yes, probably, and they would cause extra maintenance from drips.

But if slow enough would keep the interference zone oiled without dripping.

The advantage of hypoid oil is that it is designed to handle sliding
metal-to-metal contact, and has the additives to prove it.

Yes, those yummy smelling hypoid additives. Har! Most of my doors are
hollow and don't require much from a grease (surface loading is
guaranteed to be less than that on a differential gear) so I'll
continue to avoid hypoid, thanks. Besides, most squeaking comes not
from the rubbing between the pin and hinge leaf, but from the flaking
rust dropping into the wear areas. Both our lubes should prevent it.

There must be a way to use STP here.

Oh, you're just a glutton for punishment, aren't you, Joe? vbg
Why don't we teflon-treat our door pins? "Folks, for only $499.95, we
can do yer doors. Lifetime guarantee." (We'll be out of bidness long
before that.) Or what about ball bearing hinges? That's the ticket!

Actually, the hinges on some swinging windows in my 1929 house are interesting.
The staples are galvanized steel, and the pins are solid brass. This worked
while exposed to the elements and left unlubricated for 70 years. So, being HSM
types, we can make new brass hinge pins. (I'm guessing one cannot buy solid
brass hinge pins any more, only steel with a cosmetic thin bras plating layer.)

Joe Gwinn