Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Subfloor: plywood vs. OSB

Art Todesco wrote:
On 3/6/2010 9:44 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
ls02 wrote:
Should I use plywood or T&G OSB for subfloor in new addition I am
building? The addition is on second story, floors are 2 X 8 16 O.C. I
checked prices and 3/4" T&G OSB is more than twice cheaper then 3/4"
plywood. I will have hydronic heated floors. There will be another
plywood or OSB subfloor on top of base one with grooves for PEX
tubing. My original idea was to use OSB everywhere except for bath
subfloor where I was going to use plywood.

Hi,
Plywood is better choice.
I never have used OSB building our houses more than 5 times over the
years. Only used plywood of proper dimension for walls, floor, and rood
decking.

My builder uses a product called AdvanTech, which seems to be super
strong. It is T&G and comes with a 50 year warranty, whatever that
means. Here are a few pics taken in my house during construction:
http://picasaweb.google.com/actodesc...54605034859634
http://picasaweb.google.com/actodesc...54612113782098
http://picasaweb.google.com/actodesc...37589638078914

I think that was the only OSB Lows had when I needed it for a floor. I
believe their was a 100 day exposed to weather guaranty but when I
bought mine I was told they raised that to 300 days out in the weather
without falling apart. The part that looks confusing is the smooth side
goes down, the rough side up.