Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Stain grade wood recommendation for bathroom vanity top...

blueman writes:

Looking for suggestion for a durable stain grade wood for bathroom
vanity top. The bathroom is shared by 4 kids so it gets a fair bit of
use and abuse, including all the usual soap scum, toothpaste, water
puddles, etc.

For durability, I plan to clear-coat the top (after staining) with
several thin layers of West System Epoxy resin & 207 special coating
hardening.

Since I need to stain the top quite dark to match the existing vanity, I
imagine that the character of the wood is less important than durability
and suitability for the bathroom environment.

My initial thought was to use either cherry or white oak -- and was
leaning towards white oak since it is harder and a little less expensive
though perhaps cherry will be prettier(?). My sense is that cheaper
woods like pine or poplar even if I could get away with them due to the
dark stain color, would be too soft.

I'm willing to get a reasonably priced wood since most of the true
"cost" will be my labor, but since it is a kids bathroom and since the
vanity itself is nothing special, I don't want to go crazy on fancy or
exotic species.

Any thoughts?

On the other hand, I am considering applying a half-round 3/4" rope
molding as the profile for the vanity top. The style I am considering
comes only in cherry, oak (presumably red) and poplar.

If I mixed red oak rope profile with white oak top, would that cause
issues with matching the grain & color of the stained material? Or would
red & white oak together be ok given the texture of the rope itself and
the darkness of the stain?