Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Wood fence, digging barrier

On Mar 7, 3:07*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 23:14:00 -0800 (PST), mike

wrote:
On Mar 6, 2:11 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
Hi folks, am in the middle of replacing a dog ear 6ft tall fence in all the
backyard. The old one had a wood barrier dug down about 6 inches. Rotted
out over time obviously.

What simple solutions have the rest of you used to keep a dog from digging
under? Lacking better answer I was thinking interlocking largish paving
stones as a possible. Not hard to put in place but enough for my dog.

Dig a very narrow trench, and dump a bag of concrete mix in. *Spray
with a little water and cover. *Moisture from the ground will harden
up the rest of it to make a long continuous dog-proof barrier on the
cheap.

I think you underestimate the strength & determination of a digging
dog and overestimate the strength of concrete mixed that way. * *Fine
for a post hole where there is only an occasional sidewards thump---
not so good for abrasion resistance.

I've never owned a digger- but the only dogfence I've ever installed
was a 2x wire welded fence that went 6" below the surface- then was
folded in for 6". * *That was on the recommendation of a coon hunter
who had a few blueticks that liked to dig.

This site says to leave 1' of fence right on the surface-http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Dog-from-Digging

Jim

1. Concrete mix requires very little water to cure. A very thin
trench will allow soil water access to all the concrete. Concrete is
usually weakened from using too much water, rather than too little.

2. I didn't say what depth to use. Look at the dog in question and
make your best estimate.

3. Have you ever seen a dog dig through concrete? I've never even
seen one even scratch the surface. Dog claws simply aren't that hard.