Posted to rec.woodworking
graham graham is offline

Default cast iron router table top?

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys, you've been a great help.

I've taken on board the points of simplicity and sufficiency and will go
the build route. I can always change it later..

My plan now is a simple benchtop table, a box made of 3/4" birch ply
(because I have some), with webs from side to side to support the top
(ie. enable me to clamp the top down to it when I fail to make it
properly flat).

For the top I'm uncertain - I could use more birch ply, or go the MDF
route. Either way I'm uncertain of the laminating - surely wide areas
like this require a great deal of force to provide enough pressure on
the glue joint?
And with all that force (presumbaly via curved battens) it seems likely
that the panels will flex and then set non-flat?
Adding the Formica (UK trade name for phenolic sheet) ditto, and that's
not cheap stuff either - though I could always (not) add this later..
For starters I think I might just go with a single sheet of thick
mdf/ply - whatever the yard has in.

Biggest issue of the moment is what insert plate to buy - I want to be
able to get the router nice and high for bit changing, so I don't want
to clamp it to the underside of a thick table.
Phenolic seems to be the material of choice - strong and more vibration
damping than aluminium.
I'm inclined to either the Kreg
(http://www.kregtool.com/products/prs...?PRODUCT_ID=95) or
Woodpecker (http://www.woodpeck.com/tlrphenolicplate.html) as both have
solid fixing reducer rings. Is there anything to choose between these?
There is also one made by Trend
(http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/produc...rt_plate_.html)
which interestingly has a 0.8mm crown; I'm not convinced this is a good
idea - surely a flat table with a flat plate is the best?? It also has
snap-in reducer rings which doesn't seem great if a guide bush is then
used in that.

On the subject of guide bushes, the only ones in that screw-in style
seem to be made by Trend (bottom of this page
http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/produc...e_Bushes.html), and
extend 6.35mm - ie. just a bit more than you'd want for a template made
of 1/4" material! What's the point in that?

I'll probably knock up a simple fence with something like this
http://www.tilgear.info/products/88/...and_dust_hood/ and use
that until I know what I really want.

thanks again,
graham.

ps - I bought the Freud FT3000 for its above table features (above table
bit changes, shaft locks when fully raised, height adjustment from above
the table - it seems like a basic but functional router). It felt more
solid and I liked the collet better than the big Triton (I especially
dislike the triton insert for the 1/4", not that I suppose I'll use many
1/4" bits).