Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_3_] Tim Wescott[_3_] is offline

Default Vapor pressure of mixtures (was Alternatives to LPS-2)

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 5, 11:26 am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 5, 9:42 am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Dissolution has no effect on vapor pressure whatsoever.
Joe Gwinn
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/solutions/colligv.html
Ideal gas law versus real substances. How big is the deviation?

Joe Gwinn

Enormous, order(s) of magnitude. Consider acetylene dissolved in
acetone:
http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/metal...Acetylene.html
"At atmospheric pressure and 15 deg. Cent, acetone dissolves 24 times
its volume of acetylene."

That's an interesting article on acetone storage of acetylene.

But something is perplexing me. In the above Purdue reference, the key sentence
echoes Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures:

"A volatile solute (i.e., a solute that has a vapor pressure of its own) will
contribute to the vapor pressure above a solution in which it is dissolved. The
vapor pressure above a solution containing a volatile solute (or solutes) is
equal to the sum of the vapor pressures of the solvent and each of the volatile
solutes."

I think I'll look this up in my Physical Chem textbook.

It also says "Acetone is fairly cheap, inert, and incombustible". I
used to work around acetone, and if there's anything it's _not_, it's
"incombustable". It's about as 'incombustable' as gasoline, in my
experience.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com