Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10008 Ignoramus10008 is offline

Default Alternatives to LPS-2

On 2010-03-07, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus26053 wrote:
I found another penetrating lubricant called PB-50 ...

However, this PB-50 does not disperse widely, it shoots a jet of it.

So, there is no good alternative to LPS-2.

Geez - this thread has been about LPS-*2*, but I've been thinking
LPS-*3* (although LPS-3 has snuck in).

Anyhow, LPS-2 & PB-50 are primarily lubricants, that rust protect too,
according to their manufacturers.

LPS-3 is primarily a rust preventer. Blaster has a competitive product
(I think) called Corrosion Stop
http://www.pbblaster.com/Corrosion_Stop.html
Has anybody used this? Like PB-50, it is much cheaper than the LPS version.

Bob

I bought it at HD last week along with PB-50. It does seem to be a
very decent alternative to LPS-3. Leaves a waxy surface, but much
softer than LPS-3. Maybe I should say greasy surface.

I keep my anvil outside and will use this to prevent rusting. I used
LPS-3 and over the last so many months, the anvil has NO rust on it
whatsoever. (I cleaned it up prior to placing it). I re-apply rust
preventer after every use. The anvil may look dirty due to the dust
that it attracts, but not very dirty and inside, it is clean and
non-rusty.