Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alternatives to LPS-2

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 12:33:42 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 18:02:54 -0800 (PST), the infamous
scrawled the following:

I'm not puzzled about WD40. Despite what folks say, it's good for one
thing, displacing water, that's what it was designed for. The stuff
is basically a light petroleum fraction with other crap dissolved that
will evaporate leaving the other crap coating the surface and it's NOT
a lubricant or rust-preventative. So if you try using it on a squeaky
hinge, the squeak comes back, sometimes worse. Performance on rusty
stuff is no better than using kerosene.

For hinges, pull the pins, wipe them off, run some coarse steel wool
over 'em, wipe 'em again, dip your finger in some moly wheel bearing
grease and put a thin coat on the full length and circumference of the
pin. Clean your finger off on the top of the female hinge opening, and
tap the pin in. That's good for about 30 squeak-free years in most
homes.

What I've found to work very well on cheap steel door hinges is 90-weight hypoid
gear oil, which is the consistency of honey and so will creep into all the nooks
and crannies.

Oh my Crom! That stuff stinks worse than any crap I've ever shat out.
How could you stand that? I absolutely hate the smell of that stuff.

To apply, I close the door, and one-by-one drive the hingepin out, butter coat
it with the hypoid oil, and reinsert. After a day or so, the oil has found its
way into the places where metal interferes with metal, and the grinding and
squeaking sounds are gone.

The smell of the hypoid oil goes away after a few days. Put a paper towel in
the gap between door and jam under the hinges to catch any drips - the oil will
stain things.

No it doesn't. I had a single drop of it in my kitchen and it stunk
for months, until I'd PineSol the **** out of it. It's horrible.

I still prefer my moly grease, which doesn't go anywhere and doesn't
have much of a scent at all, even right out of the can.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook