Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alternatives to LPS-2

On Mar 2, 6:17*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Ignoramus11220" wrote in message

LPS-2 is a great rust preventative, because it is light oil, sprays
nicely, and does not dry or harden over time. It also creeps and
penetrates well, so if, say, I spray it on top of a pile of metal
things, it will get to all the pieces in time.

The only minus of it is that it is expensive.

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative that can be sprayed and does
not dry out.

Thanks

You might be interested in a trial I did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7623384305382/

It is nothing original or definitive, I just wanted to know how things
behaved in my hands. Also I did not consider prices but these are easy to
find out.

Great test. It helps rule out lots of products quickly and shows
which ones work under the nastiest conditions. That's salt and water
in your liquid cups, right?

I'd like to see how the expensive metal polishes (Everbrite and
Sharkskin), fare in this kind of test, too.

In a nutshell: Nothing beat LPS3.

Is it still available?

I was puzzled about the behaviour of WD40.

The rust probably combined with one of the additives, perhaps?

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook