Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Alternatives to LPS-2

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
On Mar 2, 6:17 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Ignoramus11220" wrote in message

LPS-2 is a great rust preventative, because it is light oil, sprays
nicely, and does not dry or harden over time. It also creeps and
penetrates well, so if, say, I spray it on top of a pile of metal
things, it will get to all the pieces in time.
The only minus of it is that it is expensive.
Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative that can be sprayed and does
not dry out.
Thanks
You might be interested in a trial I did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7623384305382/

It is nothing original or definitive, I just wanted to know how things
behaved in my hands. Also I did not consider prices but these are easy
find out.

In a nutshell: Nothing beat LPS3.

I was puzzled about the behaviour of WD40.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I'm not puzzled about WD40. Despite what folks say, it's good for one
thing, displacing water, that's what it was designed for.

snip

They should fly banners behind airplanes announcing that fact. It would
save a lot of mistreated machinery.

I'd like to know what happened to WD-39...

Went to the same place as Preparation G

Very good! g There really was a WD-39, you know. And all the other
numbers. The one they finally produced was marketed under the same name they
used for it in the lab -- it was their 40th try to come up with a cheap
solution for displacing water.

--
Ed Huntress