Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default My recent fights with loctite.

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Good one, Wes. It'd make a great loctite commercial. I'm not clear on 1 point; when you went: "I
made a 5c collet closer setup for my 6903 lathe. I fixed the hand wheel for tightening it using
permatex red. I *thought* it would release at 375F if I wanted to change things." Had you already
made the 5C closer or did you go to all that trouble as a step in your fight to free the cam
follower??

Two totally separate events. The follower was a case of not knowing thread locker was
involved until I broke it free.

The handwheel with the bearings and spacer was too close to the handstock for comfort. It
felt fine when I first used it and fixed it with loctite but after a bit of use, I became
disatisfied with it. I left the drawtube long and threaded a couple extra inches when I
made it. Well, I'm going to make a longer spacer and maybe even a larger diameter wheel.
Never tried threading a barbell weight I hope there isn't too much mystery metal in it.

Wes