Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vapor pressure of mixtures (was Alternatives to LPS-2)

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:50 am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 5, 11:26 am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,
Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 5, 9:42 am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Dissolution has no effect on vapor pressure whatsoever.
Joe Gwinn
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/solutions/colligv.html
Ideal gas law versus real substances. How big is the deviation?
Joe Gwinn
Enormous, order(s) of magnitude. Consider acetylene dissolved in
acetone:
http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/metal...issolved-Acety...
"At atmospheric pressure and 15 deg. Cent, acetone dissolves 24 times
its volume of acetylene."

That's an interesting article on acetone storage of acetylene.

But something is perplexing me. In the above Purdue reference, the key sentence
echoes Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures:

"A volatile solute (i.e., a solute that has a vapor pressure of its own) will
contribute to the vapor pressure above a solution in which it is dissolved. The
vapor pressure above a solution containing a volatile solute (or solutes) is
equal to the sum of the vapor pressures of the solvent and each of the volatile
solutes."

I think I'll look this up in my Physical Chem textbook.

Joe Gwinn

Does it make sense to you if you think of the fraction in gas phase as
a gas and the fraction in the dissolved liquid phase as a liquid?
Liquids are 500 ~ 1000 times denser than gases.

Otherwise, sorry, chemistry isn't at all intuitive, at least until you
learn thermodynamics. An understanding of the fundamentals of
chemistry eluded Sir Isaac Newton despite his achievements in math and
physics, .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton's_occult_studies

jsw

OBTW - remember the times :
Newton was a student of Elias Ashmole. Ashmole gathered during the purges in
England all of he science and 'occult' as the priest of the time held all of
this. Their time coming to an end, Elias decided to gather as much of what they
had before they were burned or otherwise killed. They agreed and he became the
most knowledgeable person in the science and occult world. Instruments, methods
and formula were saved in the worlds first public museum. He held the chair
that Newton later took. He was a Master Mason of the accepted type, not
building trade type.

cite - ISBN 0954330927 author of book Tobias Churton.

Martin